Abiy Ahmed Ali has been Prime Minister of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia since 2018, and in 2021 he was re-elected with a huge majority to a five-year term. But he faces a spiraling civil war centered on Tigray Region, which is battering his economy and leading to increasing international pressure.
Will Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed experience a significant leadership disruption before 2025?
A "significant leadership disruption" includes confirmed reports that Abiy has:
- resigned (including the issuance of a resignation that will take effect at a later date),
- lost a confidence vote,
- lost an election,
- formally left office,
- been forcibly removed from office for 10 or more consecutive days,
- fled or been exiled from office for 10 or more consecutive days,
- been medically incapacitated from discharging their duties for 10 or more consecutive days,
- been missing (whereabouts unknown) for 10 or more consecutive days.
Resolution will be according to reliable published reports.