Metaculus Help: Spread the word
If you like Metaculus, tell your friends! Share this question via Facebook, Twitter, or Reddit.
Discussion topic: New and improved tachyon powers
Metaculus is adding new tachyonic powers and tweaking existing ones. Our goal is to make tachyons more fun and useful without feeling like a cheat. We’ve still got a few other big tachyon changes in development, but these are the changes that are available right now:
- All level-unlockable user powers are now also unlockable with tachyons. Click on any power in your profile page to get a description of what it does and an option to purchase it if you don’t have it already.
- At level 2, users will be able to optionally hide the community prediction on open questions so that it doesn’t bias their initial predictions. You can change the community's default visibility in your settings.
- Backdating predictions is no more! Several users complained that this was overpowered and undermined the rankings. We agree.
- Un-predicting remains. It’s quite difficult to game the system by voiding your old predictions, and it’s nice to have a mechanism to correct honest mistakes.
- Purchasing the Metaculus prediction now precludes users from making further predictions on that question. You can know the future or you can predict the future, but you can’t do both.
- Users can now change their usernames for a small number of tachyons (check your profile).
- High-level users will be able to spend tachyons to temporarily view another user’s track record. If you’d rather your track record always remain private, you can opt out in your settings. To give users time to opt out, this one isn’t actually available right now, but instead will unlock in a couple of weeks.
If you have other ideas for tachyonic powers, or if love/hate any of these changes, please let us know in the comments below!